***

Monday, February 11, 2008

How Cribbage Explains the Two Maines...

From Westbrook Diarist:

"I laughed out loud (I mean, I LOL) this morning when I read this article about a bill designed to lower the fees groups are expected to pay for licenses to sponsor cribbage games, especially this nugget from the bill's sponsor, State Senator Peter Mills (R-Somerset):

Mills, who convinced legislative leaders that his bill had to be considered this year because it's an emergency, said cribbage is a critical part of the fabric of life in rural Maine. "Up in Somerset County, we appreciate these small social amenities," he said. "Some of you more sophisticated people in southern Maine may have other forms of amusement, but we're very easily satisfied."

I suspect this last quote was dripping with sarcasm, but it's humorous nonetheless.

- John C.L. Morgan

P.S. Full disclosure: Though it's of little consequence for this story, I thought I should disclose the fact that I volunteered for State Senator Mills's failed bid for governor in 2006."

Full post here:

No comments: