***

Monday, December 3, 2007

Dr. Pegger says...

From Conor:

Q: Hey Joe, got a question thats bothering me. I've been playing cribbage for around a year now, play often online and with my friends. I've looked up basic strategy online and have given it some time studying, but have never got a book or anything. I'm wondering about a couple hands I just have no idea how to play. For example, say it's my crib at the beginning of the game. I have 2, 4, 6, 8, j, k. I get hands like these all the time and don't know what to do. I always wonder if I throw the 6, 8 and hope for a low card to match my high cards for 15s, or throw the J, K because its more likely I'll get 15s with the low and medium cards, ect. And what if it's my pone? I just dont understand hands where I have two low cards, two medium cards, and two high cards, with none of them matching up. Anyways, if you got any answers, please let me know.

Thanks, Conor

A: Great question! This is my own take on it, not anything I read somehwere so others may disagree. Initially I always gravitate towards sixes, sevens, and eights, so it may seem like keeping the 6,8,J,K would be good... particularly if I was the dealer since I would not need to worry about leading. My thinking is that the 6,8 can easily make 15 if an ace is cut, or even better, if there is a 7 cut I can make a three-card run and the 15 for 2. But is this really a good idea???

First, the most you will get from any combination of [2, 4, 6, 8, J, K] - no matter which cards you keep - is 7 points.

For example, if you keep the 2,4,J,K you really need to cut a 3 for it to be worth anything - and even then it's still only 7 points (which, as I said is the best you can hope for with these cards). Here's the breakdown of possible cuts, and what you would score:
A = 4
2 = 2
3 = 7
4 = 2
5 = 4
6 = 0
7 = 0
8 = 0
9 = 2
10 = 0
J = 2
Q = 3
K = 2

So, 9 of the cuts will get you some points with the 3 getting you 7 points.

What about keeping the 6,8,J,K as I suggest?
A = 2
2 = 0
3 = 0
4 = 0
5 = 4
6 = 2
7 = 5
8 = 2
9 = 2
10 = 0
J = 2
Q = 3
K = 2

Still 9 of the possible cuts yeild at least 2 points, but none more than 5 points.

What if you keep the 2,4,6,8? Think about each card that could come up and what your score would be for the hand:
A = 4
2 = 2
3 = 7
4 = 2
5 = 7
6 = 2
7 = 7
8 = 2
9 = 4
10 = 0
J = 0
Q = 0
K = 0

Again 9 cards get you something, but at least 3 different cuts allow you 7 points!!!


This last combo, the 2,4,6,8 seems to me the obvious winner and the smaller cards also allow you a low lead card if you need it, and a good chance at some interesting combos during the play phase.

I'd love to hear other opinions.

Thanks, and if you have more questions take two pegs and email me in the morning.
Joe

3 comments:

Robert Milk said...

The analysis is very good. There are also a couple of other things to consider when determining how to play this terrible hand, that is, the board positions of both you and your opponent.

1. My crib,

a. If I need to peg, then I will hold the lowest cards (2-4-6-8);
b. If I am in the lead, and have good board position, as defined by Delynn Colvert in the book Play Winning Cribbage, I will discard the 6-8.

2. Opponents Crib.

Again, you need to think about what you need to accomplish.

a. If I need pegs, then I hold 2-4-6-8;

b. If I need to play defensively, I discard the K-6.

As stated, this is a tough hand. Best of luck with it.

Joe said...

Thanks Robert,
You are absolutely right of course... the larger strategy about where your pegs happen to be and how you want to use those cards during play are a big consideration.

Cheers,

Annett said...

Actually, with the hand 2-4-6-8-J-K the most you can get with a cut is not 7 points it is 9. If you keep 4-6-J-K and cut a 5. This is important to reason out if you are first to count and have to peg 9 to go out!