***

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Cribbage... and Cards as calendars...

From The Havens
"Before Jim actually left, I racked my brains for something special that I could do to make the passing of time seem less onerous. Jim and I liked to play Cribbage, and one day while we were playing a game, I flashed on the fact that there are 52 cards in a poker deck, corresponding with 52 weeks in the year. I decided that I would pick a deck of cards out, and send him one card every week. As my pile of cards grew smaller, his pile would get thicker. I planned to have the last card with me when I met the plane when he came home. So, when I took him to the airport that New Year’s Eve, I was armed with an envelope that had a quite beautiful card in it. In the card, I explained my plan, and included the first of the 52 cards. It was a very important symbol for both of us. Of course, I still have the deck of cards that traveled so far in so many letters and cards. It is sitting right on top of my computer desk as I write this."

Full post

No comments: